Thursday, March 13, 2008

Getting good feedback...

After getting your opinions on here, as well as my friends opinions, and including the owner of my LHBS, I've decided to enter two of my best beers in the National Homebrew Competition. I have some preparation time which will give me a chance to create my labels, and decide which two I want to enter.

To be clear, I'm not entering for competition sake as much as I'm interested in getting some feedback and I'm just interested to see how well it holds up against the other beers entered. It's certainly cheap enough to enter and I want to get into this more deeply, but one has to walk before they can crawl.

I'm really looking forward to this and I will keep you all posted on progress and labels, etc. The only downside I could possibly see to entering these competitions is that if you do somewhat decently, you have to submit your recipe for publishing... which, if it's an award winning recipe, it may not be something you'd want to publicize.

This weekend, amidst the St. Patrick's insanity and the open bar that I'm attending at Philadelphia famous Chickie & Pete's, I will be trying to work on my labels and making sure I've got all the rules down and really focus on getting the most out of this experience.

Feel free to leave comments, I will be updating soon. Any tips, suggestions, or comments about the process are encouraged. I need all the help I can get at this point!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm a beer judge, only since 2004. Been a homebrewer since 1981 but probably half of the 300 batches I've brewed have been in the past ten years.

Studying beers styles is fun and will improve your brewing. Beer styles are a completely "artificial" kind of construct, and by all means, always brew for yourself (and your friends) and what you like (and your friends like!) But studying styles and how to make beer turn out *exactly* a certain way will make you a much much better brewer. Not to mention it's the most fun thing ever invented. Well, that you can do for hours and hours with all of your friends!

SheenV said...

A good homebrew competition is the War of the Worts held in February in Montgomeryville, PA. See http://www.keystonehops.org/